I Hope That Our Few Remaining Friends Give Up On Trying To Save Us.

Tonight, Toby Joe and I are off to see The Mountain Goats at The Knitting Factory. Toby Joe suggested that for Halloween and go to the show dressed as John Darniell’s stepfather. You know, carry empty bottles of booze around, wear a wife-beater underneath a terry cloth robe, threaten to beat the hell out of everyone who comes near me at the show. I know Toby’s sense of humor comes off as rather raw, if you will. But, holy crap, is do I ever find him funny. We are a match made in hell.

And if anyone finds his suggestion regarding my halloween costume offensive, let me tell you about the time he renamed my 6.5 year old laptop Terry Schiavo because I just will not let it go.

1. I enjoy that kind of sense of humor too. Halloween 2001 my husband & I went to a Halloween party dressed as anthrax letters. My husband copied pictures of the addresses from the newspaper on poster board & we wore them around our necks. We said Halloween was a scary time & what was more scary at the time than getting sick from your mail(besides terrorism, which still isn’t funny)? We came in 2nd in the costume contest, but half of the party hated us. Anyone else have any Halloween costumes that were in bad taste?

2. …or about nicknaming the guy in orange sweats the great pumpkin, then talking about finding him all carved up the next morning. :)

3. I was surprised at John Darnielle’s personality. He’s a little bit of a spaz and a little too enthusiastic for a guy who grew up in a household of abuse and (from what I understand) is a former addict. I mean, I figured we’d all be crying and stuff during the show but in reality it was kind of a rambunctious scene.

4. Maybe he was drunk?
    I can’t wait! Tell me he does No Children. Oh, and This Year. Oh, and Your Memory. Does he do any of those, Missy?

5. Yes on all three. Wait, maybe not Your Memory. Definitely the first two.

6. People kept yelling out song titles (“No Children” being one of the most popular) and at one point in between songs he yelled back at the crowd “Dance Music!” and then started playing “Dance Music”. It was funny at the time. Seriously, it was kind of crazy for a show of just a guy on an acoustic guitar and a back-up vocalist on bass singing about really awful stuff. The opening band came out to fill in at the end and that’s when things really went crazy. You’d think it was an Agnostic Front show c.1984 or something. (I’m totally kidding; but there was a lot of energy. I’ll think you’re in for a treat—maybe they’ll even be in costume.)

7. So, you don’t remember if he played your memory, eh? ;]

Awesome. Can’t hardly wait. Wanna go again? I’m sure there are still tickets.

8. I gotta say, I haven’t been this excited about a show since Ratt opened for Motley Crue.

9. Hmm. It’s sold out, and I am sort of committed to a parade-related gathering (though not actually involving being in the parade). By the way, the opening band was not good—immature, cliched emo lyrics. Ugh.

10. what time did Mt. Goats go on?

11. I think it was around 10:45.

12. Mountain Goats? I like it. I think you and Toby would appreciate Wesley Willis.

13. I love you two. Not just for that costume, but that costume does puts things more over the top.

I met him a few times, and I didn’t think he was that much of a spaz. But the context was a bit different – Dennis Callaci who ran/runs shrimper records was a dj at my campus station and ran the local record store. All the lo fi guys would be in town and stop by the station or you’d see them in the record store. All they ever did was talk about tascams. it was endearing.

that’s a lie. they talked about other things, but they should have only spoken of tascams.

do you two know ‘lullaby for the working class’ ? i think you’d be really into it mihow. you and your man should pilfer my mp3s one day.