Hello! Welcome to the first ever Self-Portrait Day! The portraits below are featured in the order in which I received them. The individuals featured below had to answer the following five questions.
- 1). What is your first name?
- 2). Where do you live?
- 3). Where were you when you first discovered the Internet and how old were you at the time?
- 4).What is your favorite sandwich.
- 5). “On a Sunday I can be found ____.”
(Click at your own risk.)
- 1. Lana
- 2. Ottawa, Ontario
- 3. Charlottetown, Holland College computer camp (stop laughing). We sent “email” from one side of the classroom to the other. I must have been about 11… it’s a little foggy.
- 4. Sandwich: Fresh brie, tomato and basil on a baguette. Delicious.
- 5. On a Sunday evening, I’m likely cooking dinner and pretending that Monday doesn’t exist.
- 1). Dave
- 2). Minneapolis
- 3). At work, I was 27.
- 4). Greek chicken sandwich at Champps.
- 5). On a Sunday evening I can be found on the couch, watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition.
- 1. Danielle
- 2. In a lovely home with my hubby and cat, half-way between Boston, MA and Providence, RI.
- 3.In a computer lab at my high school; I was 17.
- 4. I have so many that I love, but I guess my favorite is a spicy sausage with yellow mustard (Hot Links by Johnsonville).
- 5. On Sunday evening I am sitting on my corner of the couch (see photo), watching 60 Minutes and American Dreams and looking at blogs during the muted commercials.
- 1). Colleen
- 2). NJ
- 3). I was 16 or 17, in my friend’s basement, where her 14-year-old genius brother was basically chatting on-line. It was 1985 or thereabouts. I was amazed. (I dated him when he turned 21; he was a student at Stevens. It’s all true.)
- 4). Prosciuitto, sundried tomato, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella on a nice crusty bread. Maybe a bit of balsalmic vinegar in there, too.
- 5). On a Sunday evening I can be found in the bathroom, bathing three small boys.
- 1). Sharlene
- 2). Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- 3). Way back in 1991 on the ground floor of the library at the University of Calgary. I would have been 20 at the time. I have known of its existance for much longer because I grew up in a computer savvy environment.
- 4). It’s a toss up between Lox and Cream Cheese and an Italian Meat Sandwich. I am very much a meat sandwich person.
- 5). On a Sunday evening I can be found changing diapers.
- 1). Megan
- 2). Minneapolis, MN
- 3). I discovered the internet when I was 17 and in high school. I had a computer teacher who taught me and the rest of my classmates the ropes.
- 4). BLT
- 5). On a Sunday I can be found either driving around being the home detention lady, OR relaxing with my kittens in front of the TV, probably with a book nearby. It depends on the Sunday.
- 1). Spoonleg
- 2). Tejas
- 3). When I was thirteen years old my best friend’s parents bought a new computer and we convinced them to let us get on the internet. The first place we ended up was a Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transvestite chatroom.
- 4). Orphans.
- 5). On a Sunday evening I can be found pistol-whipping my defenseless elderly patients into submission.
- 1). Amanda
- 2). Mississippi
- 3).I discovered the internet in my dad’s office when I was about 10. I played some game…maybe Infidel, with a group from my home town. It was cool.
- 4).My favorite sandwhich is a Sting, Stewart Copeland, Andy Summers sandwhich. It’s called The Police. (get with it Sting)
- 5). On Sunday evening I can be found on the couch watching t.v. with Husbando.
- 1) Carol
- 2) Georgia
- 3) I was working as an art director in Boston. I guess I was about 26?
- 4) Peanut Butter and Jelly
- 5) On Sunday evening I can be found sitting by the fire with my husband on our bearskin rug feeding each other cheese grits. Or, ignoring my husband and two kids so I can read blogs.
- 1). robyn
- 2). Ottawa, Ontario
- 3). I was 14 and in high school. My computer studies teacher decided that instead of word processing, we were going to do something WAY more cool and learn how to make “web pages” for the “World Wide Web”. At the time, I thought he was crazy, but now I probably owe that man a drink.
- 4). Avocado, turkey, tzatziki, sprouts, cucumber and monterey jack on pumpernickel.
- 5). On a Sunday evening I can be found working. Curled up reading. At my parents. In my studio being crafty. Playing my bass.
- 1). Parajo Loco
- 2). mostly in my nest
- 3). in a dorm room- 18
- 4). grilled muenster cheese
- 5). On a Sunday evening I can be found sitting on the couch, rubbing my sweeties feet and eating dinner in front of the television (when I
I love all of these! It’s like a big party. Hey, Carol, pass me some chips. What a great idea. Everyone is so gorgeous. Why do I look like Kevin Spacey?
ha! you don’t look like Kevin Spacey, silly gal. You are beautiful. And I love the peering baby head. So cute.
You’re all so beautiful! I love reading what people do on Sunday evenings. I truly loved reading them all.
You don’t look like Kevin Spacey, Colleen! More like a Robin Williams, if I had to guess… :)
Thanks mihow, what a great idea! Everyone looks fabulous! Not at all how I pictured you guys!
Great job, Mihow! It is a lot of fun reading through everyone’s answers and seeing the pics.
Somehow I thought you were going to include yourself though… maybe next time?
Oh, and congrats on the bartending job.
Very nice Mihow! All of the pics look amazing. I’m glad so many people were into it! Next week should be fun too.
Thanks Mihow for all of you hard work on this project. :)
Great job, Michele. All of the pictures are excellent. You are some damn fine looking people.
Amanda – I don’t know what you are doing to that bear, but your devious eyes and the shocked look on his face lead me to believe it’s something naughty. Sweet honey bear lovin!
Is it totally wrong for me to want to make sweet lovin’ to Missy just because of her rad glasses? Cause if it is, I don’t want to be right.
Count me in for next’s week edition!
Hey, Sottie-poo. Send an email. I have (I think) about 7 spots left for next week.
Mihow this is super cool. Thanks to you and Manda B for setting this up. Its gonna be the next blogosphere rage.
Ooh, me likey! Self-portrait day will bring newlyfound joy to my Thursdays.
Mihow! This is a really terrific idea! I love it!
Drop me a line and let me know if you need more people to participate for next week.
Every time I look at Anna’s picture I start to laugh. What a goofy and wonderful girl. :] For those of you in the NYC area, Anna will have her first Roller-Derby meet on April 1st. (No, it’s not a joke. It really is happening on April 1st.)
Thank you for all the excellent support, feedback, images, etc. It’s days like today where I regain my faith in the Internet; people really are nice.
This is so great. I can’t wait to see the photos next week.
So glad you organized this, and that Amanda came up with the idea!
P.S. Parajo Loco- Roller Derby Girl is f’ing awesome.
I hope my 50/1.5 lens is back from the dealer by 4/1. I’d love to shoot the roller-derby action. Maybe I can rent a super fast lens for the day if mine isn’t back.
Amanda B., she’s even better in person. Anna rules.
Toby just needs new material.
So are the current participants excluded from future SPD’s? Is anyone else re-participating? How about rather than submitting photos to the OFFICIAL SPD site we continue the tradition by posting self portraits on our own blogs with a link to SPD.com each thursday? I think this is a fun way for us to get creative. We can name a THEME for each SPD! Am I lame?
Actually, no idea is lame. Keep them coming. And I was just writing to Colleen about this, but will post it here, too. Toby and I are trying to figure out a way to make the first day important. (If it weren’t for you all, this would never have happened. Therefore, I must say how grateful I am for all of your help and amusement). That said, I still have to figure out when/how many etc. But I think once a month works well. We’ll see how many people are interested.
There is another option of making the number larger. But I worry about download time and unruliness. So, that might not be the best idea.
I promise, I will figure out a way to move you guys up there. If that means adding 40 to the launch, so be it. (I already have 20 for March 3rd). But 40 works, too. (At least for the first launch.) Perhaps I will rework the design on SPD to accommodate as many. hmmmmm
This is a great idea! I really like spoonleg’s idea of having a theme! I’ll be submitting my SP soon!
I must say I’m bummed my picture isn’t here. Did you receive it? I was over there on Amanda B.’s comment section when the idea was born. Maybe you have me in for next week?
I posted my own anyway, so y’all can hop over to my blog and see if if you feel left out.
Ok, my last comment sounded really negative.
I’m loving looking at everyone’s pictures and reading their responses! Long live SPD!
I’m just taking over the whole comment board!
I got your comment Mihow. I’ll re-send my pic. How can I harbor hard feelings for someone who calls me “kitten?”
That was a close one. :]
Congratulations, this is an AWESOME idea! You rock!
Self Portrait Day was (and still is) a great idea. I just wish I had the time to go through everyone’s blogs more thoroughly. Thanks Michele for setting this up!
So, I’ve looked around your site a bit (but just a bit, ‘cause I’m getting tired and need to go to bed), but do you have any pics or stories of your chubby Schmitty around anywhere? I’m a sucker for pet pics.
Brilliant idea. What a bunch of good looking people—well except for that Robert guy-kinda reminds me of Beavis. (kidding)
I just got home from work-long day of death and destructon-and I get to see this site, made my day! Yippeee
an idea for theme day-
post a pic of you as a kid-then see if you can figure out who is who?
Ok- gotta go blog now
Hey Mihow—don’t know what happened to my comment yesterday—- I guess I didn’t hit send? Feh. Anyway, I wanted to send you props. This is very cool . . .
Hey sugar. No, I saw it. You put it on the post below. :] Thank you, kitten.
Mihow, this is such a GREAT idea.
Very cool. :)
mihow…I love it.
Brilliant, a great new take on the whole mirror project thing!i think i might have to add a pic or too eventually…..
very interesting perspective…way cool!
I think a cool theme day idea would be this: being photographed at our computers/desks/tables/laptops/whatever so that others could see what WE look like when we’re blogging/commenting/emailing. You’d see pure chaos on my end!