First Haircut!

December 3rd, 2009

Emory had his first haircut yesterday. I love his curls, and I’m all for longer hair on boys, but the back of it looked like an albino Brillo pad. Trying to comb it had become impossible. Whenever I did try, he would scream, “OW! OW! OW, MAMA!” And most of the time I hadn’t even touched him yet. Needless to say, I was concerned for the safety of our hair stylist. But I was pleasantly surprised.

_DSC0055

I’m not sure if it was the race car they had him sit in, the new toys all around him, or the fact that a new and intriguing, heavily tattooed man was the one doing the cutting, but he was a perfect angel for the duration of the haircut.

_DSC0043

It wasn’t until we were leaving and he realized he wasn’t going to be able to take the cool new stuff with him did he begin to put up a fight. This is what I get for scheduling his haircut at a local children’s toy store. And I realize that I probably rewarded bad behavior, but I had to get out of there with a little bit of dignity. That’s how Billy Bee came to live with us.

_DSC0004

I personally think he looks a lot more like his father now.

_DSC0053

He’s losing his blond hair, which I knew was going to happen, but it still makes me a little sad. It appears he’s going to end up with the nice White Trash brown his mother and father grew up with.

Tags: ,

10 Comments on “First Haircut!”

1. Deva (Voracious Vorilee) said at 10:36 am on December 3rd, 2009:

Oh my gosh – he’s so handsome!

2. missy said at 1:12 pm on December 3rd, 2009:

I now have Busy Bee quotes from “Best In Show” running through my head.

3. mihow said at 1:18 pm on December 3rd, 2009:

Missy. We are awesome. Here’s why.

Yesterday after we left the hair salon, and he calmed down and was nice again, I said we should get ice cream at Pennylicks. So, we’re there, eating. We finish our treats and he starts possibly getting upset again because he doesn’t want to get into the stroller.

So, I try and distract him with Billy Bee in hopes of him not having a fit in the middle of this very popular and small and crowded sweetshop. The problem was, at the time, Billy was in fact Busy Bee in my head. So I’m all, “DO YOU WANT BUSY BEE? WHERE’S YOUR BUSY BEE? WHERE IS IT?”

I can’t even imagine how this must have looked to everyone especially if they are Best In Show fans.

I still can’t stop saying Busy Bee. Billy will not ever be Billy for me, I fear.

4. Michele Chaves said at 2:22 pm on December 3rd, 2009:

So cute. So cute! You’re doing a good job.

5. Amira @ Define "Mature" said at 2:38 pm on December 3rd, 2009:

This kid going to have the girls swooning, I tell you.

He’s so very beautifully handsome!

6. wendyr said at 11:26 am on December 4th, 2009:

Adorable.

I lost my white-blonde hair when I was a little older than Em. Everyone knew it was going to happen, but my mom still mourns my beautiful blonde locks.

7. Penelope said at 3:00 pm on December 8th, 2009:

So cute! Awe. I remember my little dude’s first cut…

8. Penelope said at 3:01 pm on December 8th, 2009:

PS I have to admit that I thought of Best in Show immediately. “Does this look like a BEE to you?!”

9. Jeff said at 4:24 pm on December 9th, 2009:

Holy cow TJ + MH. That is one cute kid. Wow.

10. wendy said at 5:04 pm on December 15th, 2009:

Try this recipe. The ornaments come out very hard and white. They are more of a clay texture when dry.

2 C. Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
    1 C. Corn Starch
    1 1/4 C. Water

Cook on stovetop on medium heat. It will look like mashed potatoes. Keep cooking until it is of a nice dough consistency. When done, place on a plate covered with a damp cloth so that it doesn’t dry out.
    I have made these each year for the last 7 years and they always turn out great.